What are the biggest mistakes about Russia?

Visa requirements for Russia

Moderator: NewEra

OgulcaN

What are the biggest mistakes about Russia?

Post by OgulcaN » Wed Feb 20, 2019 11:36 pm

- We are too weak to fight for our freedom. A controversial one. But anyway, the reason Putin is still in power is because he hasn't done any major fuck ups and the opposition is moronic. People care about food, health, work and not some abstract "freedom of speech". Look what "democracy" and "freedom of speech" has done in Ukraine. It's good to have, sure. But not everyone is a whistleblower.

OgulcaN

Re: What are the biggest mistakes about Russia?

Russian women are easy.
All my life I am constrained to fight the "Sasha from Russia" stereotype. Probably it is based on the way that certain women behave themselves while being on a vacation. But it does not at all represent what Russian women are really like.
Of course there are easy women among us, but I don't think that this percentage is higher in comparison with other countries. Moreover, Russian culture remains in some way old-fashioned. People get married very young; the relationship which is not yet registered officially is not considered serious; if you have many partners you are being judged. And forget about Russian girl putting out at a first date - it almost never happens.
When meeting men, most Russian women are looking for a companionship - a constant boyfriend or a husband. Dating for them is a temporary phase that should lead to a more serious relationship.

OgulcaN

Russians can understand or even speak such languages as Polish, Czech, Moldovian, Bulgarian, Ukrainian etc.
Unfortunately not.
Those are all completely different languages. Some of them can have similar words, but it doesn't mean that we understand the language. Ukranian, being among ones in a group of Slavic languages, is the closest one to Russian, but I cannot follow Ukrainian TV.
Probably, learning Polish is easier for Russians, but we still have to learn it in order to understand and moreover to speak the language.

OgulcaN

Post by OgulcaN » Wed Feb 20, 2019 11:37 pm

Russians drink more then any other nation on the planet.
I have friends in a lot of Northern European countries: Ireland, Great Britain, Austria, Germany... And after getting to know Russian culture, they often said "That is not true, that Russians drink a lot! We drink much more!!".
You may also take into account, that we have developed a culture of drinking. Russians never drink without eating, famous "zakuska" always accompanies any alcohol on the table. And everybody knows, that you should eat first and then drink, and keep eating while continuing drinking. Drinking is a process, that involves numerous amount of traditional food, which perfectly goes with it and provides you with a much more complex experience than just simply getting drunk.

OgulcaN

Post by OgulcaN » Wed Feb 20, 2019 11:37 pm

Here are just some odds and ends. Most russian homes don't have thermostats. The heating is central and you open the windows if it gets to hot. At one time many places didn't have hot water in the summer because the hot water was tied into the heating. Now many people have their own water heaters. McDonalds is very popular and some of the McDonalds in Moscow are larger than 3 or 4 typical ones in the USA. Still the lines are bad and finding a table is a challenge. Cars are still not as widely used as in the USA but getting more common. Busses and the Metro are widely used. Some of the Metro stations are amazing. Some metro stations doubled as bomb shelters and you ride escalators forever to get to the trains they are that deep. The Russian education system is quite good. Women are often more educated than the men. The atmosphere in the schools is serious. You are there to learn not to party.

OgulcaN

Post by OgulcaN » Wed Feb 20, 2019 11:38 pm

Russians are cold and unfriendly (especially to foreigners). Not true, Russians are very warm and hospitable people. I think it takes time for them to warm to you. But my neighbors all make an effort to talk to me even though they don't speak English and I don't speak much Russian. Also, whenever I have mentioned to someone that I am British, I have never had any hostile responses.

OgulcaN

Russia is dangerous . Before I left the one thing I was told by people (people who have never been to Russia I should add) don't go out after dark, don't use your phone on buses and metro someone might steal it. Watch Out for thugs. … not true I am living on the outskirts of Moscow in a normal working class neighborhood It’s not dangerous I have never felt threatened here . I finish work at 8pm and take a bus home I listen to music and use my phone just like everyone else I read news in English and I have talked on the phone in English and nobody has ever made an attempt to steal or attack me . Moscow feel just as safe as London.

OgulcaN

I am Russian currently working in America. People like it freezing in the office; I'm sitting around in a sweater, in a hoodie with a hood on, with a warm scarf on, or in a leather jacket while everyone is running around in T-shirts. Last week I even got sick. And naturally everyone is mocking me But you are from Russia, how can you be cold? Duhh people, just because I can survive -40C easily in a FURCOAT doesn't mean I can walk around in a T-shirt in +15C all day long, and just because it's cold most of the time of the year, it doesn't mean we all walk around naked in there! Yes, we are used to a cold climate - but with the help of warm clothes, not thick skin!! God these "Russia" remarks are so annoying...

OgulcaN

1. Russians are progressive. There is a small percentage of progressive, cosmopolite thinkers, but on average Russian society, especially away from Moscow is stubbornly xenophobe. It was true for Tsarist Russia, USSR, and it remains the same in modern Russia.
2. Russian food. Pelmeni, Perogi, Borsht, etc are not Russian foods. Pelmeni came from China, Perogis are Ukrainian, so is Borsht. The real Russian food is mostly based on cabbage. During Soviet Union times, the food was scarce, and many popular dishes are a result of recipe changes to adjust to the lack of certain ingredients.
3. Russian culture is unique. Sure everybody knows Tolstoi and Dostoyevski, Chekhov and Gorky, but the golden days of Russian literature are in the past. American suburban entertainment is prevalent throughout the world, and Russia is not exception.
4. Russians fight corruption. It's been a problem for centuries, and it doesn't seem to go away. Russian society is an inherently fertile ground for corruption. So when when Russian politician says he or she fights corruption, 99% chance they actually fight their competition.

OgulcaN

Post by OgulcaN » Wed Feb 20, 2019 11:39 pm

Actually, there is a whole industry of misconceptions about Russia and before that about Soviet Union. West and especially America and British propaganda machine spend billions to create and support thousands of lies about present Russia and its history, they pay good money/grants to any russophobe or mass-media in Russia or its neighbors like Ukraine, Poland etc., they subsidize so-called "historians" who write what West wants to hear, they try to split Russian/Soviet people into smaller and preferably hostile countries highlighting small local differences like it happened with Ukraine which is rather not country but anti-Russian project. Imagine, 70-80% of so-called "ukrainians" speak pure Russian language... and they all were converted into hostile state by overthrowing legally elected president and Forbidden word election of american puppet? And Russia "occupies Crimea" after 90% of Crimeans (I am one of them) voted to re-unite with Russia? Let's say, creating and supporting misconceptions about Russia is the official policy of Washington, London and their satellites.

To say frankly, we, Russians, care mostly about one single misconception - "Russia is weak". We think it is VERY dangerous, it provoked Napoleon and Hitler to invade Russia, we have lost millions of lives as a result. Think about us whatever you want, just remember that we have enough nuclear warheads and rockets to protect our independence and freedom to live as we like - not as West wants us to live.

OgulcaN

1)All Russians blond and have blue/grey eyes. We have in Russia regions where people speak Russian with strong accent and all people have dark hair, dark skin and brown eyes. Check Tatarstan, Dagуstan, Chechnya - it is still part of Russia.

2) People are cold and unfriendly: Yes, first impression you get when you talk to Russian, that they are not too friendly and smiley. But It does't mean they meant to be rude. Russian are very sincere in their feelings, they don't pretend: if they don't know you, they don't care much about you, why they should smile to you - you are just stranger. However if you get to know any Russian a bit closer, he/she can become a real friend and even if you call him/her at the middle of the nigh and will ask for help, they will come and help you!

OgulcaN

I guess that the biggest misconception comes from the fact or challenge or even mistake that two different Russian words: русский (rooskie) - ethnically Russian, belonging to Russian culture, language and российский (rosseeskie) - belonging or related to the State Russia ie Russian Federation, Empire, USSR are translated in Western languages by the same word RUSSIAN.

OgulcaN

The biggest misconception today is that Russians eat shit for breakfast and horse manure for dinner. Let me tell you something. Russians don’t give a flying saucer what you think about them. They eat naturally grown foods, like organic beef, chicken, and duck (very popular in Russia, I love it). They eat organically grown tomatoes, cucumbers, squash, and leaf vegetables. GMO is officially banned in Russia. How truly awesome is that?

All this costs here in Russia much less than it is in the US or EU when you convert rubles to USD or EU. Oh, and the fish that Russia harvests from their northern sees is absolutely delicious, and quite inexpensive too! Come to Russia and start living!

That’s all I have to say to you :)

OgulcaN

Foreigners know only one nationality - "Russian". Some advanced individuals can divide "Russians" into few folks. In fact, there are 180 ethnics in Russian Federation and several dozens ethnics around it. All of them are "Russians", but have a lot of distinctions. The same with the ex-USSR countries. There are a lot of nationalities foreigners mark just like "Russians", giving to everyone from the East the same set of stereotypes.

HenrySow

What are the biggest mistakes about Russia

Post by HenrySow » Thu Mar 21, 2019 4:39 pm

Terminator.. LOL

You dont have to lie to kick it. You dont have to be handsome in the classic sense because not all the women over there are beautiful. You can find something in-between.

There are just tons of women inside the agency loop and outside of it that faced with many of the same problems.

Women are considered old by age 30

Women are not in control, the men are

Even so-called Middle Class FSU women make about 50 of what an American woman doing the same job.

If you go over to FSU not just Ukraine and you cant find a suitable woman you got some serious demons to deal with.

FrankScugs

What are the biggest mistakes about Russia

Post by FrankScugs » Sat Apr 06, 2019 8:33 pm

Hello everyone,

I want to know what are the requirements to apply upon arrival as a k3?

Thank you very much.